#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Winds and Quakes and Truth

An earthquake shook northern Illinois this morning. Strangely enough, I hadn't been feeling well and slept very badly. I was awake even before the quake occurred and even had a premonition of it - vaguely wondering how people would deal with an earthquake in the middle of snowy winter.

The quake emanated from a town about 20 miles from my own, and I heard it even before I felt it. I heard a rumbling sound outside and then felt the shock waves in my bed. It seemed to last forever. While the shaking lasted, I felt disconnected from it and observed the phenomenon with interest. A moment after it passed, I felt the terror and weight of divine judgment. This little earthquake was just a nudge compared to the shaking in Haiti, but power of it – beyond human control or understanding – certainly humbles one in the face of the Almighty's power.

Human life is indeed fleeting and fragile. However, we were born and continue to exist by the grace of God and by His voice of truth. What a blessing to serve an all-powerful God who deigns to speak to us and, most remarkably, loves us!

1 Kings 19:10-12 (Amplified Bible)

10He replied, I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts; for the Israelites have forsaken Your covenant, thrown down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. And I, I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

11And He said, Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord. And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake;

12And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire [a sound of gentle stillness and] a still, small voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment