#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Disposable People


To many, unborn babies are disposable people. The political feeling is that unless the pregnant mother desires to have the baby, that unborn life is disposable. I believe that attitude arises from lack of relationship. We human being can't seem to care about others unless we have a relationship with them - preferably a mostly positive one. We just can't bring ourselves to care if no relationship exists.

In the case of unborn babies, I have a passionate connection. Although I have not experienced abortion in my own body, I have witnessed its effects first hand. Since I have not been able to have children, I have considered adoption many times - but the cost is exorbitant and foreign adoptions are "easier." There are just not as many children in this country who need a home and parents. In my own family, my parents have lost nearly a third of their grandchildren to abortion. This is quite shocking if taken as a common statistic. Could it be that nearly a third of our future has been killed before birth?

One of the wonderful things about ultrasound is that unborn children are no longer unseen and disconnected. Ultrasounds permit others to develop a connection with that unborn child because a relationship is established. We see, therefore we believe. It is becoming more difficult to make the case that the "disposable cells" in a mother's womb is not a valuable human life.

In this country, fathers are also becoming disposable people. The value of a father to a family is considered merely a financial obligation. Our courts and our society clearly understand that value. What seems to be missing from the equation is that a father's connection to his children is critical for their well-being and his.

Those people who believe in biblical principles understand this. And, those "believers" seem most able to care about "disposable people" when others can't. They find a relationship or connection to all human life that makes no one disposable and every life valuable - because God values every life and God values the father-child relationship. God values the people across the globe - even in places like Pakistan, Iran, North Korea, India, Morocco, Columbia, China and Russia. And God instituted the father-child relationship himself with the creation of Adam.

Psalm 139:13-15
13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

1 comment: