#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My New Favorite Place


Christian books in the public library? I never would have guessed.

Since the economy has forced me to change my habits, I began going to the library instead of the bookstore. And, to my utter surprise, the library had most of the authors I wanted to read on their shelves. I found titles by Thomas Nelson, Zondervan and Tyndale House – three big Christian fiction publishers. I had no idea that a public library would offer Christian literature – because I never bothered to look. This has caused me to really re-think my attitude towards libraries. With so much anti-Christian sentiment in media and government, I never dreamed the library would be so fair and broadminded in their offerings.

The Gail Borden Library in Elgin, Illinois is spectacular. Built in 2003, the library’s designers created so many pleasant places to curl up and read – unlike my old haunts, the upscale bookstores. The Gail Borden Library boasts a spectacular round reading room, called the River Room. This light-filled room overlooks the Fox River and has a fireplace! If you want to sip and munch while you read, the La Tazza coffee shop on the first floor brews a great cup of coffee. The staff is pleasant and knowledgeable. And, small meeting rooms are available for small groups.

Having lived in a town without a library for seven years, I had no idea what libraries had become. What a wonderful discovery! So, if your budget is curtailing your reading, check out the public library!

No comments:

Post a Comment