#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Writing for Profit


I just began writing for Examiner.com as Chicago's Christian Fiction reporter. To that end I have written and posted two reviews, one for Distant Echoes by Colleen Coble and the other for Face of Deception by Lis Wiehl. I enjoyed both books and felt confident recommending them. Unlike past writing jobs, I don't get paid by the word or project but by the number of hits on the articles themselves. With so many journalists and writers being laid off and publications closing, this payment method certainly takes the burden of marketing off the employer and, in that sense, forces writers to reach their audiences on their own.

I wonder where all this Internet social media communication flood will end, and I now have some grave concerns about how much more vulnerable we as a society are becoming. Newspapers and magazines don't require electricity to read, and are not dependent on a cable or satellite. What I hope is that somehow after the chaos of the economic crisis and digital conversion, we will still have a fair amount of printed newspapers and magazines that remain well-staffed and viable.

But, for the sake of blatant self-promotion and economic survival, here is a link to my examiner page, please enjoy!

http://www.examiner.com/x-13313-Chicago-Christian-Fiction-Examiner

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I hit the article, I enjoyed it. I started reading Distant Echoes myself.

    ReplyDelete